Welcome to my travelogue blog! This is the website of the science fiction and fantasy author Danica Cummins. Come see the universe (or at least my small part of it). I post every Friday.

And More: The Fast-Forward Festival has launched its first issue! To read some funny, creepy stories about Time, hit up www.fastforwardfest.com.

I have a new story out in Luna Station Quarterly. Huzzah!

Friday, June 15, 2012

Goodbye for a Short Time (that may seem long)


            Well, it’s time for Clarion.
            I can’t say I’m not nervous, but at some point last week I rolled off the main hump of nervousness and moved into the groove of excitement.  My packing list is marked (Ewok doll, check; Shakespearean insult mug, check; my roommates are bound to think I’m cool!), and my shorts are rolled up at the hems, ready for the beach. 
To San Diego I go, bordertown, harbortown.  Is there anything else that I need to prepare?  This’ll be my first peer-critiquing workshop (because up until now I’ve lived like a hermit in the hills, shielding my scribbles with a well-placed elbow whenever anyone approached).  But I have confidence in my own adaptability and my peers’ tactfulness, so we should be fine.  Star Wars paraphernalia aside, all I’m bringing is my mind, and hoping it’ll be enough—hoping I can live up to the challenge. 
The Intergalactic Coffeeship will take a long, boring journey through uninhabited space while I’m gone: blogging and participating in nerdly SF workshops feels like the kind of madness-inducing exercise that wise people avoid.  I’m considering lining up some guest bloggers, so it might be best to check the site periodically.  In any case, though, thanks for giving me your attention ‘til now.
            I’ll be back in the heat of August.  Au revoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment